Advice · How-to Guide · Reviews

How to Stop Getting Mail Addressed to Previous Residence?

Step 1: Write “Return to sender. Not at this address” before giving it to the Mail carrier/post box or post office
It’s super tempting to toss every damn letter not addressed to you—but save it, because you can use it to solve your problem. Instead of tossing, write “Return to sender. Not at this address”on each and every letter and put it back in your mailbox.

Step 2: Cross Out the Bar Code
With so many things automated these days, sometimes your “Return to Sender” won’t actually be seen by human eyes. But, if you cross out the bar code (marked on every piece of mail by the USPS), the system will recognize it as “undeliverable.”

Step 3: Let Your Mail Carrier Know the Deal
Either tell your mail carrier in person, or leave a note that “Jeb Farnsworth doesn’t live here.”

Step 4: Go to Your Post Office
Still getting someone else’s mail? Head to your post office to talk to the station manager. And while you’re there, fill out a Change of Address card for Jebediah. Since you don’t know where this guy lives now, instead of a forwarding address write: “Moved, Left No Forwarding Address.” When you sign it, make sure to write “form filled in by current resident, [Your Name], agent for the above.” 

Step 5: File a Complaint
Still getting Jebediah’s mail? (If only he ordered Beyoncé tickets.) It’s time to file a complaint with the postmaster at your post office. You can either write a letter or schedule an appointment to meet in person. Good luck & Godspeed.

One thought on “How to Stop Getting Mail Addressed to Previous Residence?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s